The Tourism Infrastructure and Employment Project
Employed local people and contractors to install disability access and improve the amenity of the Visitor Information Centre, Town Hall and Community Gym in the main street of Orroroo. The refurbished Visitor Information Centre has improved customer service delivery and become a popular talking point among visitors.
The Orroroo Memorial Hall is the physical anchor point and community “hub” of the main street - the completion of this project ensures the Hall is available for community use in all seasons and at all times of the day through air-conditioning and lighting upgrades. The main street display of the historic Pekina irrigation scheme was also repaired, having remained non-functional for several years. Directional and interpretive signage was installed so as to highlight the significant heritage of the Orroroo main street and improve, promote existing tourism attractions and services thereby encouraging visitors to stay a while longer.
- Short-term engagement of local and regional contractors in relevant trades which extended for various periods over 3 months from April 2019
- Immediate benefits for community connectedness through collaboration of Council and the local tourism group
- Long term economic benefits through increased associated investment by local existing business and start-ups enabled by increased visitation
- Effective reuse of historic buildings (Town Hall)
- Long term social benefits for the community re: disability access to key community facilities, retention and celebration of heritage.
- Significant short term economic benefits of contractor funds circulating within the community
- Long term economic benefits resulting increasing visitation to the town and visitor staying longer
|Tourism Infrastructure and Employment Project||2018/19|
|Grant Approved / Income ($)||97,563|
|Actual Expenditure ($) - 30 June 2019||98,064|
|Variance to budget||(501)|